15-Minute Sheet Pan Fried Rice (with Chicken) — Easy HEALTHIER “fried rice” that’s actually baked and not fried!! Full of authentic flavor and ready faster than you can call for takeout!! Perfect for busy weeknights and a family FAVORITE!!
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice … in the Oven!
Two of the most popular top 10 recipes on my website for the past many years are this Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice and Better-Than-Takeout Shrimp Fried Rice.
You guys love your fried rice. So here’s a sheet pan version!
To me this tastes like comfort food, minus unnecessary fat and calories.
The chicken is juicy, the rice is tender, I adore the juicy bursts of peas and carrots, and everything is lightly coated in a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil. It’s not greasy or gloppy, nor is it dry; it’s just perfect.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s perfect for work or school lunches the next day. Asian food has a way of tasting even better the next day, if that’s possible to have leftovers since is eat-right-off-the-sheet-pan style of good.
Sheet Pan Fried Rice Ingredients
To make this healthier baked fried rice recipe, you’ll need a handful of easy to find fridge and pantry ingredients including the following:
- Chicken breasts
- Toasted sesame oil
- Pre-cooked rice
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Lite soy sauce
- Green onions
Note: All ingredients amounts are listed in the recipe card section when you keep scrolling down.
What’s the Best Rice for Oven Fried Rice?
For the rice I used three 8.5-ounce packets of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice in the Fried Rice flavor that I cooked for 90 seconds in my microwave before adding to the sheet pan and baking it briefly.
It’s a newer flavor of Ready Rice I saw in my grocery store. The packages are 3 ounces smaller (8.5 ounces each) than the usual 8.8-ounce sized packets in most other flavors.
I also recommend Ready Rice in this Teriyaki flavor or simply Original.
I use Ready Rice to save time because I am not the type of person that just has leftover rice laying around. If you are, then you don’t need my shortcut. You simply need about 6 cups of previously cooked rice.
However, if you want to prepare rice on your own first for this recipe, of course, be my guest. Use white, brown, long grain, etc. or whatever is your favorite rice. You may need slightly more soy sauce than I used if you are using scratch, freshly made rice but use your judgment.
How to Make Sheet Pan Fried Rice
This sheet pan chicken fried rice is so easy, ready in 15 minutes, full of authentic fried rice flavor, minus any actual frying which keeps it healthier!
Follow these very easy steps:
- Simply add chicken to a sheet pan, drizzle with toasted sesame oil, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then add cooked rice, frozen peas and carrots (no need to thaw in advance), soy sauce, and bake for just a couple more minutes.
- Stir in scrambled eggs.
- Garnish with green onions.
The easiest busy weeknight dinner ever that the whole family will love and no takeout nor frying was involved.
Can the Chicken Be Omitted?
Yes, you’re welcome to omit the chicken if you’d rather make classic sheet pan fried rice.
Otherwise known as plain or vegetarian fried rice.
Can I Use Shrimp Instead?
Sure thing! Use medium-sized fresh shrimp and bake them for about 5 minutes, or as long as needed until they’re nearly done.
Remember, shrimp will cook faster than chicken so don’t overcook them or they’ll be tough and rubber.
Then add the rice, vegetables, and bake again for a few minutes before adding the scrambled eggs, garnshings, and serving.
Tips for the Best Baked Fried Rice
- Note that the rice must be pre-cooked (either purchased from the store or made yourself). Do NOT add dry rice to the sheet pan.
- Cut the chicken into smaller, even-sized chunks so they cook quickly and at the same rate.
- Add more or less soy sauce to your taste.
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- three 8.5-ounce packets prepared rice, cooked according to package directions (about 6 cups cooked rice)
- 3/4 to 1 cup frozen peas and carrots blend
- 1/3 cup lite soy sauce, or as desired
- 2 large eggs, scrambled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons green onions, diced into thin rounds
- Preheat oven to 400F (use convection if you have it), line a sheet pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, evenly scatter the chicken, drizzle with oil, season with pepper, toss to evenly coat the chicken, and bake for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove sheet pan from the oven, add the rice, peas and carrots (I added straight from the freezer and didn’t thaw), soy sauce, toss to mix and coat evenly, return the pan to the oven, and bake for 2 to 3 minutes.
- While the chicken and rice cook, scramble the eggs on the stove.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, add the scrambled eggs, and stir to combine. Tip – If the rice seems dry at all, add a touch more soy sauce as necessary and stir to combine.
- Add the green onions, stir to combine, and serve immediately. Extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
1. For the rice, I used three 8.5-ounce packets Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, Fried Rice flavor that I cooked for 90 seconds in my microwave before adding to the sheet pan and baking it briefly. It is a new flavor of Ready Rice I just saw in my grocery store. I would also recommend this Teriyaki flavor or simply your favorite cooked rice, i.e. white, brown, long grain, etc. I use Ready Rice to save time.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 403Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 1061mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g
More Easy Fried Rice Recipes:
Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice — One-skillet, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll never want takeout again after tasting how good homemade is!! Way more flavor, not greasy, and loads of juicy chicken!!
Easy Better-Than-Takeout Shrimp Fried Rice – One-skillet, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll never takeout again!! Homemade tastes WAY BETTER!! Tons more flavor, not greasy, and loaded with tender shrimp!!
Skinny Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice – Even people who don’t like cauliflower will be amazed at how authentic and DELICIOUS this SKINNY version of chicken fried rice tastes!! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and so much HEALTHIER than calling for takeout!!
Hawaiian Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice — A Hawaiian-inspired shrimp fried rice recipe that’s EASY, ready in minutes, and has so much authentic flavor!! A family favorite that’s better than takeout!!
Beef Fried Rice — This better-than-takeout beef fried rice is EASY, ready in 20 MINUTES, and made in ONE skillet! Everyone loves the big juicy strips of steak and perfectly fried rice that’s speckled with bits of onions, peas, carrots, and scrambled eggs. The combination of the soy sauces, oyster sauce, and toasted sesame oil make it taste so authentic!
Originally posted August 21, 2019 and reposted May 12, 2023 with updated text.