Roasted Sweet Potato Salad — This roasted sweet potato salad is tossed in a honey Dijon dressing. The sweet and savory flavors of this potato salad are to die for complete with red bell peppers, black beans, corn, cilantro, and tossed in a lemon Dijon light dressing!
Potato Salad … with Sweet Potatoes!
This sweet potato salad puts ‘potato salad’ in a whole new light! There’s texture and crunch from red peppers and green onions, black beans add heartiness, corn adds sweetness and juiciness, and there’s the fresh pop of cilantro.
Feel free to work in avocado, red onion, or other favorites. You can even use this roasted sweet potato salad as a filling for enchiladas, tacos, or wraps.
Everything is tossed with a honey Dijon mustard sauce that’s sweet, tangy, and bright with a little bit of a kick from the cayenne I used, but it’s optional.
The sweet potato salad can be served warm, at room temp, or chilled, and it gets better the day after making it because the flavors marry!
Because of that, it’s not only great to make ahead for work week (or school) lunches meal prep style.
Thanksgiving Side Dish Idea
This is also a great Thanksgiving side dish because it holds well at any temperature.
Roast the sweet potatoes alongside whatever else you have roasting in the oven that day, and when they’re done you can assemble the salad, cover it with saranwrap and let it just hang out til you’re ready for the big meal.
I have readers who tell me they make this every year for Thanksgiving and it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it. This recipe was originally posted in 2015.
Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients
For this sweet potato potato salad recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Black beans
- Green onions
- Bell pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
As written, the recipe is naturally gluten-free and if you use agave rather than honey it’s vegan.
How to Make Sweet Potato Salad
Making potato salad with sweet potatoes is just as easy as making traditional potato salad. Here’s an overview of the recipe steps:
- You’ll first need to roast the sweet potatoes (more on that in a moment), and while the sweet potatoes are roasting you should prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the black beans, green onions, red pepper, corn, and cilantro to a large bowl and set aside.
- Then, whisk together the honey Dijon dressing in a separate bowl.
- Once roasted, add the sweet potatoes to the bowl with the veggies and toss everything together with the dressing.
- Taste the sweet potato salad and adjust seasonings as needed.
Should Sweet Potato Salad Be Served Warm or Cold?
You can serve this roasted sweet potato warm, or let the flavors mingle in the fridge for a few hours before serving chilled.
Tips for Making Sweet Potato Potato Salad
Cutting the sweet potatoes: It’s important that you cut the sweet potatoes into roughly the same size chunks, otherwise your sweet potatoes will cook at an uneven rate. Obviously, each piece won’t be exactly the same size, but do your best!
Lemon vs lime juice: For a slightly different take on this sweet potato salad, you can use lime juice in the dressing instead of lemon juice. It’s a subtle change, but it does make a difference!
Corn variety: I used frozen, thawed corn in my sweet potato salad, but if you have fresh sweet corn on hand definitely use that instead. You can cut the sweet corn off the cob and you don’t even have to cook it. It’s incredibly sweet and juicy straight off the cob.
Sweet Potato Salad FAQs
You’ll first need to preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray and add the diced sweet potatoes in an even layer. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake until fork-tender and done.
Halfway through baking, flip potatoes to ensure even cooking. The exacct baking time will vary based on the size of your potatoes, and I recommend starting to check at 30 minutes for doneness.
Most likely, yes. I prefer Dijon mustard because it has a deeper flavor than your average yellow mustard, but you’re welcome to use whatever mustard you have on hand.
Of course! You can doctor up this roasted sweet potato potato salad however you see fit.
This sweet potato potato salad can be served warm, at room temp, or chilled and will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
No, I do not recommend freezing this sweet potato salad. I think some of the veggies would become grainy once frozen, and the salad’s texture would change overall after being thawed.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Potato Salad
This Mexican-inspired potato salad pairs well with just about any grilled protein or Mexican main dish. It’s also great for potlucks and barbecues!
Try serving the potato salad with one or more of the following:
- about 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 jumbo), washed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (use the white and green)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 cup corn (I use frozen that I allowed to thaw)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, minced (about half of 1 bunch)
Honey Dijon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (lime juice may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray and add the sweet potatoes in an even, flat layer. Evenly drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake for about 45 minutes, or until fork-tender and done. Halfway through baking flip potatoes to ensure even cooking. Baking time will vary based on size of potatoes, oven and climate variances, and I recommend starting to check at 30 minutes for doneness. While potatoes bake, prep and chop the remaining ingredients.
- To a large bowl, add the black beans, green onions, red pepper, corn, cilantro; set aside.
- To a large measuring cup or medium bowl, add the honey, dijon mustard, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, optional cayenne pepper, and whisk to combine; set aside.
- After potatoes are cooked, add them to the bowl with the beans and vegetables, add the sauce, and toss to combine. Taste, check for seasoning balance (add more salt, pepper, touch of honey, lemon juice, etc.), make any necessary tweaks, and serve.
Potato salad can be served warm, at room temp, or chilled and will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 316Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 764mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 11gSugar: 14gProtein: 10g
More Potato Side Dishes:
Warm German Potato Salad — A classic potato salad made with tender red potatoes, bacon, onions, and a tangy vinegar dressing! This no-mayo potato salad is a family favorite side dish that’s perfect for parties, picnics, and potlucks!!
Bacon Potato Salad — This no mayo Potato Salad with Bacon is ready in just 30 minutes! It’s a vinegar potato salad the whole family will love.
Pink and Purple Potato Salad — Move over, boring potato salad! Have this PRETTY one made with purple potatoes instead!! NO MAYO makes it healthier and perfect for picnics, parties, potlucks and events!!
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes — Soft, tender potatoes with crispy skin and the most HEAVENLY melted honey butter on top!! EASY comfort food that’s a perfect side dish anytime!!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip — The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Pamesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes — These herb roasted potatoes are sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and are made with seasonings you already have on hand. So easy to prep, and crazy delicious!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole — A HEALTHIER and DELICIOUS twist on sweet potato casserole!! The potatoes and apples retain some texture with the perfect amount of crumble topping!
Crispy Parmesan Ranch Potatoes — The BEST roasted potatoes you’ll ever eat!! Tender potatoes seasoned with ranch mix and topped with a CRISPY Parmesan breadcrumb topping!
Originally posted July 29, 2015 and reposted October 6, 2023 with updated text.